Friday, October 30, 2009

Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce

I didn't get a picture of this one but I wanted to write this down so I don't forget what I did. The kids actually ate squash this way because it looked like cheese sauce. Way to fool them... I did it over spaghetti noodles and with baked chicken breast.

1/2 of a baked butternut squash
1/2 of an onion diced
2 tbsp butter
2 cloves of garlic
2 tbsp flour
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup half and half
Salt and Pepper to taste

I baked my squash on about 375 for 30-40 minutes until it was fork tender. I just quartered it, brushed it with olive oil and salt and pepper. You can also buy it already baked and pureed in the freezer section of the grocery store.
Melt butter in a medium saucepan and saute onions on medium heat until they are transparent 5-7 minutes. Add the chopped cloves of garlic and saute for an additional minute. Add flour to that mixture and stir until smooth then slowly add broth and half and half stirring so it doesn't go lumpy. Take the skin off off the squash and add the squash to the sauce until it is all hot. Then put the mixture into my food processor and blend until smooth. You can use a blender or even a stick blender depending on what you have. After it is smooth add salt and pepper to taste (I think squash needs lots of salt) and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment