Thursday, October 29, 2009

Caramel Apple Pie

This pie turned out SO good. Well it tasted good. Baking always has scared me because you have to be so much more precise than when you cook. I am such a chop and drop cook. My last attempt at baking a pie was a horrible looking pecan pie. I haven't made a pie for about 3 years until now. I will be making more. I have finally moved past my bad pecan pie mess....

Pie Crust, use your favorite recipe, mine is store bought. Ok, so I am not completely over my bad pie experience....

Apple filling:
5 granny smith apples peeled, cored and sliced
1/2 cup sugar
2 tbsp cornstarch
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg

stir cornstarch into sugar and then add cinnamon and nutmeg and coat the apples with mixture. Put into pie crust and put into oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes

while pie is baking make crumb top

1 cup quick oats
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/2 cube butter

melt butter and mix together well.
after the 30 minutes baking put on crumb top and bake for another 10-15 minutes

while the pie finishes baking melt together
15-20 unwrapped caramels
1-2 Tbsp evaporated milk

Pour caramel over the pie when it comes out of the oven. Let cool a little (if you can stand to wait) and then dig in. It is best with a big scoop of Vanilla Ice Cream on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment